Monday, June 8, 2009

Dinner in a bowl

I like to think I have my moments of brilliance and glory in the kitchen; the following is hardly one of them. A few days ago I peered into my refrigerator hoping to find the makings for dinner and instead found a half a can of kidney beans in chili sauce, spring onions, eggs, and a few pickled grapes bobbing in their sticky pickling liquid. These were some slim pickins; clearly it was time for a trip to the store. I grabbed my bags, headed out the door, and hoped that inspiration would hit along the way.

My criteria were using up the chili beans, and making something quick and easy. I could tell it was going to be a salad night. I began to see visions of a southwestern style salad and felt a glimmer of hope.

I try to eat seasonally and buy from the farmer's market as much as possible, so I felt a bit like a criminal as I purchased a cucumber and red bell pepper that traveled farther than I have in my whole life, just to end up on my dinner plate. Along with the afore mentioned world travelers, into my basket went a clump of cilantro and a can of corn kernels. I hurried home, whipped out the cutting board and set to work. In mere minutes, with a bit of tweaking here and there, I had a delicious, tangy, crunchy, one bowl dinner. It was so good in fact that I ate the whole bowl, and made a repeat batch just a few days later, which I nibbled on before starting this post.

For all who have fewer moments of brilliance and glory than they wish (and I like to tell myself that there are many, so if there aren't, please don't ruin the illusion) I give you this "recipe" for a speedy, simple way to kill those hunger pangs.


Southwestern Style Salad

1 can kidney beans in chili sauce (use the sauce and all)
1 can drained corn kernels
2 spring onions or 1/2 a regular onion, chopped
1/2 a cucumber, chopped
1/2 a red bell pepper, chopped
1/3 c. cilantro, chopped
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste

Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir together. Taste for seasoning and add more vinegar, salt and pepper if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment