Saturday, June 19, 2010

Carrot Stick Salad

I often make the mistake of cooking something in a rush because I am so hungry or because if I don't get a move on it will be 10:00 before we eat dinner that I forget to record it in case it should turn out well enough to share with you. This is one of those things.


When I was a kid my mom would let my brother and I "cook". We were the proud owners of The Kid's Cookbook, I think it was called, and we would drag it out and pore over the pages agonizing over what to make. Our specialties were ants on a log and carrot coins. It's quite possible that the first thing I learned to "cook" was carrots. And by "cook" I mean setting a cutting board on the floor, carefully cutting the carrots into coins with a dull knife, sticking a toothpick in each one, and arranging them on a plate. I was born to be in the kitchen! Fortunately my skills have advanced a bit since those early years but I can still appreciate the charm of a simple dish.

 As luck would have it while all those people who live on either coast are gorging themselves on local cherries and strawberries and peas and avocadoes I am still waiting for my garden to produce something other than an unruly patch of arugula and one pea pod. So when it came to what to make into a salad to go with dinner my best option was a bag of carrots (from one of the coasts, of course) that have been patiently waiting in the fridge for their moment of glory.

One other thing that is growing like a weed in my garden is a mint plant. It is threatening to take over all the bell pepper territory so in an effort to aid their growth (with the hope that maybe by October(?!) the plants will be big enough to produce a pepper) I lopped off a sprig and it became part of my salad plan. Eight leaves down, about a million to go!

This salad is so simple I almost feel guilty calling it so, but it is one of those perfect summer dishes - quick, cool, crisp, and tasty!

Carrot Stick Salad with Red Wine Vinegar and Mint

4 medium carrots
1/2 a small shallot thinly sliced
6-8 mint leaves, rolled up and sliced into ribbons
a splash of red wine vinegar
a drizzle of honey
a pinch of kosher salt

Slice the carrots into long strips and then cut those strips into matchsticks. Toss all ingredients in a bowl and season to taste. The acidity of the vinegar should be balanced with a bit of sweetness from the honey and just a pinch of salt to take the edge off.

Serves 2 as a side dish

No comments:

Post a Comment